Today there are more than 20,000 actively hosted audio podcasts, culminating in over 2.6 billion downloads.1 With so many podcasts out there, how can you possibly decide what podcasts are worth your time? Have no fear, we've curated a list of five podcasts we feel provide the most benefit to the Professional Student:
- Mac Powers Users - We put this at the top of the list because this is the one that we listen to religiously. If you don't have a Mac, iPhone, or iPad please feel free to skip this one but the beauty of MPU is that they focus on workflows which Android and Windows users will also find applicable. They cover topics from taking notes and editing PDFs to data management and dictation.
- The Model Health Show - It's important to stay healthy in the daily grind of school. Shawn and Jade do a good job of presenting the lastest health literature in a way that is practical and accessible. They have some pretty remarkable guests on as well, covering everything from diet and exercise to mental health.
- The Tim Ferriss Show - We recommend this show for the sheer brilliance and diversity of his guests. Billed as the podcast that "deconstruct[s] world-class performers from eclectic areas (investing, sports, business, art, etc.) to extract the tactics and tricks you can use," you will likely find gems that can be applied to the life a Professional Student.
- This American Life - Everyone needs to know how to weave together a good story and few do it better than Ira Glass. The stories are both compelling and informative and constructed in a way that leaves you wanting more. The show is guaranteed to make you think a little differently about life.
- Your Discipline - As podcasts are becoming more and more popular, it's becoming more commonplace to find podcasts that pertain to your specific area of study. There are podcasts out there for History, Anthropology, even Mathematics. Listening to one of these podcast is a good way to stay up on some of the latest discussions in your field without necessarily having to read everything all the new literature.
We normally listen to these podcasts at the gym but they also work good for the long commute or when you're doing household chores. Subscribe through the Overcast App, turn on the Smart Speed and Voice Boost, and plow through these podcasts at record speeds.
What podcasts do you listen to?